15 Hospitality and Tourism Management Career Options
15 Hospitality and Tourism Management Career Options: Not a day goes by that we hear information on COVID-19 impact on hospitality businesses. Yet the hospitality and travel industry is all set up to start again too with flying colors. There are a number of hotel management aspirants who want to kick start their career in hospitality management. The industry is faced with challenges but with the new tech in, the hospitality sector is expected to outnumber other sectors in a few years. The hospitality, travel and tourism industry is a sea that engages many careers. From being a food and beverage manager on a high-end cruise line to orchestrating a top sound music festival. In an industry that is constantly growing and evolving to new trends, why not jump on board and explore the options? Let us check what are the top trending 15 hospitality and tourism management career options.
Hospitality and Tourism Management Career Options
According to the World Tourism Organization UNWTO, the hospitality industry is responsible for one out of every eleven jobs worldwide. That is it is the world’s largest employer. Owing to the continuous growth of this service-oriented, high-energy and productivity- driven hospitality and tourism industry, there is a high demand for skilled labor. The tourism education in India contributes to the growth too. Here are few options candidates can opt for making a career in the hospitality and tourism sector.
Hospitality Jobs in the Food and Beverage Industry
There are a number of career opportunities in the food and beverage services.The food and beverage industry is divided into two major segments: production and the distribution of edible goods. In terms of hospitality, food and beverage occupations can be found in settings such as restaurants, breweries, event centers, and more. Even there are a number of hotels that offer high packages to hotel management graduates. In regards of food and beverage sector, below are the jobs you can go for:
1. Restaurant Manager – To ensure the restaurant is operating efficiently, restaurant managers can be hired to oversee a variety of restaurant types – from local taverns to high-end restaurants and fine-dining establishments specializing in international cuisine
2. Catering Assistant – A catering assistant may work directly for a catering company, in-house at a restaurant, or at a hotel to arrange bookings, oversee production and more.
3. Sous Chef – Another job pertaining to the food and beverage industry is that of a sous chef, which is a second-in-command role within a kitchen. To be successful it is necessary that a sous chef has all the required chef skills and qualifications. A sous chef reports to the head chef and oversees various meal preparations and kitchen operations.
Hospitality Jobs in Tourism Management
One aspect of tourism is hospitality management that provides diverse opportunities for recent graduates. Job roles such as a cruise ship director and flight attendant can take you around the world, but if you prefer a hospitality career that has a consistent home base, below are three relevant suggestions:
4. Travel Agent – A travel agent will research and plan trips for individuals, couples, and groups. This process may entail finding hotels, booking excursions and sharing deals on flights.
5. Tour Guide – Tour guides prepare itineraries and offer private or public tours of popular towns, museums, historical sights or other areas of interest. Tour guides often have extensive knowledge on individual locales and are able to answer questions that pertain to their specific tour.
6. Marketing and Public Relations – A career in marketing and PR can be connected to both hospitality and tourism based upon the needs of the industry. Marketing and Public Relations are important to a destination because a positive name in the press can impact the number of people traveling to a touristy town, hotel or other sightseeing area.
Hospitality Jobs in Event Planning
Event planning is another key area of hospitality that involves hands-on organization and interaction. Traits of successful professionals with jobs in event planning may include being flexible, working within a budget, and having a propensity for multitasking.
7. In-House Event Planner – Event planners can be involved in every aspect of an event, including booking clients, having regular meetings, problem solving event details, and arranging the post-event clean-up.
8. Conference Organizer – These types of organizers can be hired in-house by a venue to arrange seating, keynote speaker necessities, day-of itineraries and more for a conference, trade show, expo or other event.
9. Bridal Consultant – Bridal consultants, or wedding planners, can be hired to oversee multiple aspects of a wedding and reception, from assistance in finding a venue to creating seating charts. These consultants may have versatile day-to-day schedules.
Hospitality Jobs in the Entertainment and Leisure Industries
The entertainment and leisure industries can perhaps be tangled with some of those already mentioned above. So, how does one get a job in leisure and tourism? Some jobs that both sectors may be looking to employ include:
10. Casino Host – Casino hosts work with a casino to ensure customer satisfaction. Some of the day-to-day duties of these hosts may include getting to know regular customers and offering various incentives to ensure their casino experience is positive and that they return.
11. Spa Director – Spas can contribute to leisure and relaxation for guests around the world. Spa directors may oversee scheduling and appointments, maintain inventory and more.
12. Theme Park Manager – Theme parks come with more than just rides and roller coasters, thus making it essential to have managers keeping them up and running. These employees can book shows, plan promotional events and more.
Hospitality Jobs in Guest Relations
Guest relations is a customer-service oriented sector for those who like to interact and work with people. These careers can be found in many different industries, although they are primarily seen within hotel management.
13. Front Office Manager – Front office managers can have many day-to-day duties, including overseeing employees, maintaining guest accounts, coordinating hotel sales and more.
14. Directors of Housekeeping – Commonly seen in hotels, directors of housekeeping can be expected to oversee the cleanliness and appearances of the hotel, control labor costs, and maintain supplies, among other related responsibilities.
15. Sommelier – Sommeliers can be hired within high-end hotels or restaurants as experts of fine wine. They may be able to recommend wine and food pairings, help chefs create up-to-date wine listings for their establishment, or promote wine-based events.
Frequently Asked Question (FAQs) - 15 Hospitality and Tourism Management Career Options
Question: What are some of the service sectors covered in the hospitality industry?
The hospitality field covers the entire service industry that includes lodging, food and drink service, event planning, theme parks, and transportation. It includes hotels, restaurants and bars.
Question: What is Hospitality Management?
Hospitality management is a detailed study of the hospitality and hotel industry. A hospitality manager looks after the administrative tasks of a resort, hotel and casino chain. He or she may ensure that a hotel is adhering to state regulations.
Question: What is the starting salary for a hospitality management graduate?
The starting salary is not much for hospitality graduates. It mostly ranges from Rs. 10,000 to Rs. 20,000. However with years of experience the salary is bound to increase.
Question: What are some of the employment areas where hotel management graduates can take admission?
The various employment opportunities are Marketing/Sales, Human Resources, General Management of a restaurant or hotel, Accounting, Economics, Cost Control, Operations Management, Cruise Ship Hotel management and Club management.
Question: How are marketing and public relations important in hospitality?
Marketing and Public Relations are important to a destination because a positive name in the press can impact the number of people traveling to a touristy town, hotel or other sightseeing area.
NCHMCT JEE Counselling 2021 - Get entails about all the three ...
NCHMCT JEE 2021 seat allotment, NCHMCT JEE Seat Allotment 2021...
Get details about the hotel management salaries in India both ...
How to Prepare for NCHM JEE 2021 in 6 Months: Get to know abou...
NCHMCT JEE Rank Predictor 2021 - Know how to use NCHMCT JEE Ra...
Questions related to NCHM JEE
which are the best books for nchmct jee exams?
These are the book that you need for preparing for nchmct jee :
Arihant General English for all Competitive Examinations (English) by Hari Mohan Prashad
High School English Grammar & Composition Revised Edition (English) - Wren and Martin
Numberic Ability and Aptitude
Quantitative Aptitude -RS Aggarwal
Quantitative Aptitude - N.K. Singh
Quantitative Aptitude - Arihant
Verbal Reasoning Book - R S Agarwal
Quantitative Aptitude ebook (ALL Parts Solved) - R S Agarwal
Verbal and Non-Verbal Reasoning - RS Aggarwal
Books for service sector aptitude :
Arihant - The ultimate guide for Hotel Management
R Guptas book for Hotel Management
General knowledge :
I hope this helps.
culinary arts or hotel management which is better
Both the courses culinary arts and hotel management are good . Selection of one between these two is depend on area of your interest. If you want to be chef then you can choose culinary arts as it deals with cooking. And if you want a more career opportunities then you should go with hotel management. Remember one thing that both the courses have scope in industry.
Hope you doubt is now clear
Do I have to give NCHM or NCHMCT JEE for culinary arts ?
Both NCHMCT JEE and NCHM JEE are the same exam National Council of Hotel Management and Catering Technology Joint Entrance Examination.
Culinary arts programs focus on building exceptional preparation and cooking skills, while hotel management programs focus on administrative tasks. A culinary arts program may contain content in nutrition and sensory evaluation, American cuisine, international cuisine and meat science.
The syllabus for NCHMCT JEE consists of
- Numerical Ability and Analytical Aptitude
- Reasoning and Logical Deduction
- English language
- General Knowledge & Current Affairs
Please visit this link for detailed preparation strategy for NCHMCT JEE preparation strategy
Hope it helps
IHM HYDERABAD (or) CULINARY ACADEMY OF INDIA, Which is best??
Hope you're doing well.
For your query, i compared both of these colleges. You may follow the link given below so as to see the comparisn of fees, salary, infrastructure, facilities, rankings, academics :-
Hello. i have been alloted seat in Ihm hyd i submitted my documents and seat was confirmed, but bymistake i have applied for 2nd counselling, what if i get a seat in another college, will i be able to cancel it and opt for the 1st one i got in 1st round of counselling? please help.
If your seat is confirmed in first round but if you get a seat in better college in second round then you can opt for that seat and can cancel the seat you got in first round. But, if you got a seat in the good branch of IHM in the first round and you do not wish to leave it then advise is not to attend the second round of counselling and continue in the college you already got.
Good luck and stay safe!