Lisa Sunny, who is pursuing B.Sc. in Hospitality & Hotel Administration, a three years course, from IHM Hyderabad believes that it is important to score high marks in the NCHM JEE exam. Obtaining high score increases prospects of candidates to secure admission at top hotel management institutes as the NCHM JEE score is the only criterion for admission.
- Find top ranked colleges where you can seek admission.
- Find best branch of each of the colleges.
- Get a comprehensive personalized report for complete analysis.
Click here to Enroll for All India HM Counselling Pack 2015 to get All Alerts, Updates and Guidance for College Selection
For queries and doubts, call NCHM JEE 2014 Exam Helpline at 011-40360360
For end to end expert guidance of NCHM JEE and other Hotel management exams Click Here.
Lisa Sunny, who obtained 1013 rank in NCHM JEE 2013 shares smart ways of self study through which candidates can secure good marks. The IHM Hyderabad student guides NCHM JEE 2014 aspirants to focus on English Language section as the section carries maximum marks and shares tips on how to ace exam preparation for the same section. Further, she discusses preparation strategy and tips for four remaining sections namely- Numerical Ability and Scientific Aptitude, General Language and Current Affairs, Reasoning and Logical Deduction, Aptitude for Service Sector.
The national level hotel management entrance examination NCHMCT JEE is a gateway to secure admission at 35 Institutes of Hotel Management located in different states (including 21 Central Institutes and 14 State Government Institutes) and 15 other private institutes for hotel management.
In an interview with Careers360, Lisa Sunny talks on importance on preparing and performing well in English language section as it carries maximum number of questions, i.e., 60. The total mark carried by the section is 60 marks. Besides, sharing how to enhance exam preparation with the aid of self study, she shares her time management strategy for NCH JEE written exam.
Read the interview below.
Careers360: Please share your valuable exam preparation tips for English Language section.
Lisa Sunny: It is easy to crack NCHM JEE. But, it is easier to crack the exam with high marks, provided candidates plan exam preparation strategy in right direction and target sections which carry maximum marks/questions. As English language section is highest scoring section (with 60 questions/marks) than other three sections carries 30 marks each, candidates are advised to attempt correctly all questions from English section. Below listed are a few simple tips to ace NCHM exam preparation -
- Revise English grammar focusing on Class 10th and Class 12th.
- Increase your vocabulary drastically and pay attention to spellings as questions do come to identify correct/incorrect spellings.
- Other important topics in English include one word substitutions, finding errors and reading comprehension.
- Use advanced level vocabulary books and basic grammar books.
Careers360: How should NCHM JEE aspirants prepare for other 3 sections?
Though English section carries the maximum weightage, you must score well in other sections too so that your score doesnât get skewed. Following are preparation tips for other three sections-
For Numerical Ability and Scientific Aptitude section
- For numerical ability and scientific aptitude study basic concepts from NCERT Class 10 books.
- Select reference books/ question books carefully so you do not end up studying more than required.
- If you have been out of touch with Mathematic subject then you should practice calculations and approximation techniques.
For General Language and Current Affairs section
- Read current affairs regularly to prepare for general knowledge section.
- Donât limit your general knowledge preparation to only 1 year as older important events may also be asked.
- Read newspaper on daily basis.
- For the general knowledge and current affairs section read Manorama Yearbook.
For Aptitude for Service Sector section
- Aptitude for Service sector requires no real preparation, on the spot logical thinking will help you clear the section.
- If you are not sure of a question in any topic apart from aptitude for service sector then skip as negative marking scheme is applicable.
- If you are not sure of a question in any topic apart from aptitude for service sector then skip as negative marks are applicable.
- Attempt ALL questions in aptitude for service sector as even the wrong answer will score you +0.25 marks.
Careers360: How important is coaching for the NCHMJEE preparation? If some aspirant can't afford to take coaching, in what way he/she must prepare for the NCHMCT JEE Exam?
Lisa Sunny: Itâs a personal choice of candidates. If a candidate feels that he/she would need to attend coaching classes for the entrance exams - then they should enroll with a coaching class/institute. Candidates, whose exam preparation is not dependent on coaching classes, are advised to read hotel management guide books or preparation books available in the market.
Careers360: What was your time management strategy during the exam day? How did you manage it among the different sections of the paper?
Lisa Sunny: I allotted 45 minutes each for sections-Numerical ability and scientific aptitude and English language and for the rest of the sections 30 minutes each. I knew I had to answer quick otherwise I would fall short of time in the end , but with this strategy I easily had 20 minutes of revision time as well.
Careers360: What were your strong and weak areas? How did you tackle your weakness?
Lisa Sunny: Numerical Ability and Scientific Aptitude section were my weak areas. To tackle the weaknessrevised my class 1oth mathematics and science textbooks. My father Col. Sunny Kurian M also played a supportive role to strengthen my weakness by helping me solving puzzles and numerical.
Careers360: Share some light on exam preparation strategy adopted by you.
Lisa Sunny: A month before the exam I started practicing question papers and exercises from a hotel management entrance guide from noted publications.
Stay tuned to hospitality.careers360.com for more news and feature articles on Hospitality and Tourism exams.